Whether you’re upgrading to a new mattress or simply decluttering, disposing of an old mattress can be a challenging task. However, the key is to do so responsibly to minimise environmental impact and adhere to local waste management regulations, so in this blog we’ll go through where and how to get rid of a mattress.
Where can you dispose of a mattress in an environmentally-friendly way
Local Recycling Centres
- Many municipalities have designated recycling centres equipped to handle mattresses.
- Components like metal springs, foam, and fabric can be repurposed, reducing landfill waste.
- Some centres offer convenient drop-off points or even pick-up services.
How to Find:
- Contact your local waste management or recycling centre to inquire about mattress disposal options.
- Search online directories or use recycling locator tools to find the nearest recycling facilities.
Mattress Retailer Take-Back Programs
- Some mattress retailers offer take-back programs when you purchase a new mattress.
- This option may simplify the disposal process as the retailer handles the logistics.
How to Utilise:
- Inquire with the retailer where you purchased your new mattress about their take-back program.
- Confirm any associated costs or requirements before opting for this service.
Local Furniture Disposal Services
- Local furniture disposal services often accept mattresses as part of their bulky item pickup services.
- Some municipalities offer special collection days for large items.
How to Arrange:
- Contact your local waste management office or furniture disposal service to inquire about scheduling a pickup.
- Ensure your mattress meets any specific requirements for collection.
Donation Centres and Charities
- If your mattress is in good condition, consider donating it to local charities or organisations.
- Some charities may have specific guidelines for mattress donations.
How to Donate:
- Reach out to local charities, shelters, or organisations to inquire about their mattress donation policies.
- Ensure your mattress meets any cleanliness or safety standards for donation.
Online Platforms for Reuse:
- Utilise online platforms, such as Freecycle or local community groups, to offer your mattress for free to someone in need.
- This option promotes reuse and extends the lifespan of your mattress.
How to Share:
- Post details about your mattress on online platforms, emphasising its condition and any relevant information.
- Arrange for pickup with the interested party, ensuring a safe and convenient exchange.
Collect Your Old Bed Service Areas
At Collect Your Old bed we provide bed collection services across UK including areas like London, Chelmsford and Royal Leamington Spa. If you need to get rid of your old mattress, get in touch with us today.